Actros, the Mercedes-Benz flagship. The Actros was presented for the first time at the IAA International Motor Show for Commercial Vehicles in 1996 and represents an entire series of Mercedes-Benz Trucks. In long-distance transport, it includes the Actros, the Actros L, the Actros F, the Actros for loads up to 250 tonnes, not to mention the Actros with semitrailer tipper for the construction sector, the Actros in short-radius distribution haulage and, of course, the eActros.
The history of the Actros
25 years ago, it represented a completely new development in many areas. Above all, the introduction of comprehensive electronic systems in commercial vehicle construction was driven forward by the Actros. It became the benchmark for reliability in the commercial vehicle sector.
Innovations at the time of the model launch included the networking of the control units in the vehicle, the electronically controlled air brake system, and the further development of the electro-pneumatic gearshift EPS into the Telligent gearshift system with new transmissions. Also appearing as innovations were the new 500 series engines (V6 and V8) with "Telligent" engine control and the flexible "Telligent" maintenance system.
The OM 500 engine series was deployed in the Actros for the first time and was given the following designations:
- OM 501 LA for the V6 engine (with outputs ranging from 230 kW (313 hp) with a maximum torque of 1530 Nm to 350 kW (476 hp) with a maximum torque of 2300 Nm)
- OM 502 LA for the V8 engine (with outputs ranging from 375 kW (500 hp) with a maximum torque of 2400 Nm to 440 kW (598 hp) with a maximum torque of 2800 Nm)
Almost all of the Actros engines benefit from the use of common parts. This was intentional and was taken into account in the model series concept phase.
The fuel injection system uses the "pump-line-nozzle" (PLD) principle, with each cylinder having its own injection pump driven by its own cam on the camshaft. This is an improvement on the principle of the unit pump which was in use for decades.
The issue of safety has always been of special importance in the Actros. With the introduction of the Actros, new safety systems were also introduced
The Actros is built in the Wörth am Rhein plant. The location is not only a production site, but also a global centre of competence for the Actros. The plant was founded in 1963 and has a long tradition in the manufacture of trucks. It is Daimler's largest truck production site in the world.
The Actros L in long-distance haulage
The premium class of Mercedes-Benz Trucks: the Actros L. It stands for high levels of safety, driver comfort, efficiency and reliability. The standard version already comes with a comprehensive range of equipment, such as Active Brake Assist 5 which can, under certain circumstances, carry out an emergency braking application in reaction to stationary and moving objects. This makes it possible for the Actros to autonomously brake in various degrees ranging from a partial to a full application of the brakes in the event of pedestrians in its path. In this way, it can reduce accident severity or even prevent an accident altogether. Equally standard are Stability Control Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, Attention Assist and follow-me-home lighting.
The Actros L is not just a truck, it's also a workplace. Comfort is thus of great importance, especially in long-distance haulage. Freedom of movement and a pleasant ambience take on a whole new meaning, without compromising the driver's everyday occupation. The Actros L is modern, ergonomic, practical, motivating and, last but not least, efficiency-increasing.
In the interior, too, the driver is the focus of attention: everything is designed to make work easier and the breaks as pleasant and relaxing as possible. A clear division between the workplace and the living space can be seen. Whether in the colour concept, the interior lighting concept, the placing of sufficient stowage space or the 750 mm wide and up to 2200 mm long comfortable beds, the Actros L is a premium workplace in long-distance transport. Furthermore, there are three cabs available.
The Actros L stands for one thing: greater efficiency. A truck for particularly high economic efficiency thanks to trustworthy, fuel-saving vehicle technology, low costs and high yields. The economy of a truck includes low fuel consumption and thus lower overall costs.
The Actros for long-distance haulage and short-radius distribution
The Actros can do both heavy-duty short-radius distribution and long-distance haulage, plus it meets the ever-increasing demands for increased economy, unique comfort, particularly high safety and exemplary reliability.
Its family resemblance to the Actros L is unmistakable. They differ in the area of sleeping comfort, as the Actros does not feature the optionally available SoloStar Concept found in the Actros L. Like its bigger sibling, the Actros also takes to the road efficiently thanks to its reduced fuel consumption. However, the Actros features four displacement classes instead of three. The Actros for short-radius distribution is available in variants from 18 to 26 tonnes.
Advantages of the long-distance haulage Actros L and Actros, and those of the short-radius distribution Actros
- Comprehensive scope of standard equipment, including Active Brake Assist, Stability Control Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, Attention Assist and follow-me-home lighting
- Active Drive Assist for enhanced ride comfort as well as high efficiency
- Proximity Control Assist with stop-and-go function, Sideguard Assist, Active Sideguard Assist, Traffic Sign Assist, electronic parking brake, Trailer Stability Control Assist
- MirrorCam for improved visibility and even greater safety
- Additional safety thanks to automatic main beam/low beam/cornering light function, LED daytime running lamps, LED tail lamps
- LED main headlamps, cornering light function, foglamps
Working and driving comfort:
- Increased comfort thanks to the Multimedia Cockpit, the MirrorCam and the electronic parking brake
- For certain Actros units, Active Drive Assist is available as an option for active driver relief and for increased safety
- Easy handling and operation of the most diverse vehicle and body functions via the secondary multi-touch display
- Mercedes-Benz Truck Navigation and Traffic Sign Assist
- Integrated radio infotainment system, optionally with Digital Audio Broadcasting Radio (DAB/DAB+) and sound system.
- New key, convenience central locking system
- Remote online & Remote Truck App for the operation of many vehicle functions with the smartphone
- Multifunction key
- High-value, attractive interior design with a clear separation of workplace and living space
- Homely atmosphere thanks to interior lighting concept for optimum illumination of the cab
- LED ambience lighting and LED ambience lighting, for a particularly pleasant illumination and better orientation during breaks or when driving at night
- Great availability of stowage trays and stowage compartments
- A stowage volume of up to 332 l above the windscreen
- Stowage compartments under the bed with a volume of up to 558 litres
- Optionally, SoloStar Concept for excellent feeling of space and high functionality
- Comfortable beds
- New mattress protector
- Upper comfort bed optionally with a width of 600 mm
- 7-zone comfort mattress
- Three cab variants for operation in long-distance haulage
- Striking, further-developed exterior design, lights concept and optimised aerodynamics
- Unmistakable light signature, LED daytime running lights and LED tail lamps
Low fuel consumption
- Fuel-efficient, reliable Euro VI engines in three displacement classes
- Finely coordinated drivetrain configurations with 12-speed automatic transmission and optimised axle ratio
- Consumption-optimising drive programs
- Further optimised, sophisticated aerodynamics
- Fuel-efficient auxiliary consumers
Predictive Powertrain Control:
- As much as 5 % lower fuel consumption as standard
- Identification of the road course, such as upcoming descents, climbs, intersections and roundabouts
- Optimisation of gearshift timing, gear selection and the speed set in the cruise control system
- Optimum system utilisation through traffic-dependent setting and Traffic Sign Assist
- Now not just for use on motorways, but also on out-of-town roads
- Robust design and manufacturing by Mercedes-Benz
- Finely coordinated drivetrain configurations with an especially robust design and extended service life
- Practically oriented axles, as well as frame, chassis, suspension and brake components
- Long service intervals and service-friendly design ensure low repair and maintenance costs
- Mercedes-Benz Genuine Parts for reliability and value retention as well as Genuine Remanufactured Parts as a low-cost alternative
The Actros F in long-distance haulage
The Actros F is also available for long-distance transport applications as the entry-level model in the world of Mercedes-Benz Trucks. It can be used with great versatility – be that on out-of-town roads, motorways or on the yard of a logistics provider. The Actros F performs well in any environment. With its minimalist, functionally oriented equipment, it will become an indispensable companion for daily work and focuses entirely on its strengths and cost-efficient equipment.
The aerodynamic StreamSpace (optionally also BigSpace) L cab is being introduced with the Actros F as a new variant from Mercedes-Benz Trucks. Thanks to its width of 2500 mm and its 120 mm low engine tunnel, the cab is generously spacious, while its low, 3-step access allows the driver to reach their workplace particularly comfortably. The Actros F covers the most diverse requirements with a total of 17 different model variants.
The Actros F is functional and efficient, without neglecting the necessary comfort for long-distance haulage. It relies on trustworthy functional equipment elements with a specific utility such as the tried-and-tested Classic Cockpit or the standard mirrors. Additional features such as the retarder, Active Sideguard Assist and Predictive Powertrain Control round off the Actros F.
The Actros for loads up to 250 tonnes in long-distance haulage
The Actros for loads up to 250 tonnes is ready to accept the challenge of moving very heavy and large loads. Its tractor unit was consistently developed and built with this purpose in mind. Its extremely sturdy drive system delivers the exact output needed for the everyday work of the heavy duty transport sector. This enormous output requires a particularly robust design of suspension, springs and the frame, so that even at full load the power delivered can be transferred to the road. As a heavy-duty transport truck, it sets new standards in terms of comfort, vehicle performance and flexibility. There are two cab variants to choose from – the GigaSpace and the BigSpace – which offer the exact working and living comfort you need in heavy-duty transport.
Advantages of the Actros for loads up to 250 tonnes at a glance
- Powerful 6-cylinder in-line engines that meet all the requirements of heavy-duty operation
- Rear-mounted cooling system for long engine and retarder operating times
- Wear-free turbo retarder clutch for extreme loads when pulling away and manoeuvring
- 16-speed PowerShift 3 automatic transmission
- Operations-oriented drive programs and selectively engageable drive modes and additional functions
- Very practically oriented thanks to a variety of semitrailer couplings and mounting plates as well as heavy-duty couplings at both the front and rear for towing and shunting operations
- Robust rear axle with a load capacity of up to 13 t
The on-road Actros semitrailer tipper for construction haulage
The Actros semitrailer tipper takes the economical long-distance haulage Actros one step further with the addition of special reinforcements for use off-road and optimisations for construction site operations. This makes it a specialist for transporting bulk materials and for occasional off-road use.
Its greater ground clearance due to the installation of a straight front axle predestine the Actros semitrailer tipper for use on construction sites and rough terrain. With its bumper featuring steel corners and the optionally available pivoting access steps, it is more robust and offers greater freedom of movement than the long-distance haulage Actros. Thanks to the bigger approach angle, its off-road handling capabilities are also enhanced. With the innovative MirrorCam and the new Multimedia Cockpit, the driver has everything in view from all angles, thus ensuring an optimum all-round view when manoeuvring, turning or changing lanes.
When needed, the Actros semitrailer tipper obtains additional power for briefly increased traction requirements thanks to the Hydraulic Auxiliary Drive (HAD). This system kicks in and provides additional traction assistance whenever the drive axle threatens to lose its grip. When starting off with up to 450 bar hydraulic pressure, the system delivers additional power to the front axle via the wheel hub motors. Subsequently, the pressure is regulated steplessly according to the situation. The Hydraulic Auxiliary Drive combines the benefits of all-wheel drive and a regular drivetrain. On long journeys it is hardly noticeable, as it is up to 350 kg lighter than an engageable all-wheel drive system. What does make a noticeable difference, though is that it saves up to 6 % more fuel compared with a vehicle featuring engageable all-wheel drive and 8 % over vehicles with permanent all-wheel drive.
The eActros is the first fully-electric truck from Mercedes-Benz and is sustainable, future-oriented, innovation-driven and quiet. However, new mobility solutions also require new services, so that in addition to classic truck servicing, new eConsulting and further innovative digital solutions are also offered.
The eActros is available in two variants: with three or four lithium-ion batteries, with a capacity of approximately 105 kWh each. The eActros thus has a total battery capacity of approx. 316 kWh or 420 kWh respectively. This enables it to achieve a range of up to 300 km or 400 km respectively. Naturally, depending on the individual operation, these figures can vary according to topography, load, handling behaviour, temperature and vehicle body.
Charging is as intuitive as possible thanks to the eActros' standardised charging system: apply the parking brake, connect the automatically-locking CCS Combo-2 plug to the vehicle's charging socket and charge. The eActros variant with three batteries can be charged from 20 % to 80 % in a little more than an hour, while the variant with four lithium-ion batteries is charged within about an hour and a half. Then all that has to be done is press the stop button next to the charging socket to end the charging procedure. The eActros is then unlocked again.
Powerful, immediate acceleration is ensured by the Mercedes-Benz-specific axle with two motors: 330 kW continuous output and 400 kW peak output. A two-speed transmission and a low centre of gravity round off the stunning driving experience.
Of course, the eActros comes as standard with tried-and-tested assistance systems from Mercedes-Benz Trucks which support drivers, especially in urban use: from Stability Control Assist, Lane Keeping Assist, Attention Assist and Sideguard Assist to Active Brake Assist, tyre pressure monitoring and Roll Control Assist. The Multimedia Cockpit and MirrorCam are likewise standard equipment.
Advantages of the eActros at a glance
- High vehicle utilisation thanks to a battery capacity of up to 420 kWh and a range of up to 400 km, not to mention avoiding emissions-based entry restrictions in cities thanks to its electric drive system
- Locally CO2-neutral and thus exempt, for example, from toll charges
- Peak output: 400 kW
- Significantly reduced interior noise and a modern, fully digital cockpit